Crunchy Coconut Granola [v]
You simply can’t go wrong with this delicious crunchy coconut granola. The idea of making granola used to intimidate me, and (surprisingly) it wasn’t until only recently that I made my first homemade batch of granola…. and you know what? It was amazing. So SO much better than anything I have ever bought at the store! Know what else? It was E-A-S-Y. Much easier than I thought it would be, and from this point on I will most certainly be making my own granola. The best part about it is you can put absolutely whatever you want in there. Your choice of nuts, seeds, dried fruit, spices… have fun with it!! However, I also highly highly recommend making this particular mix of granola. The macadamia nuts and cranberries go swimmingly with the coconut flavor, and the hemp seed gives it a really nice smooth nutty flavor, plus hemp is super high in Omega-3 and Omega-6 essential fatty acids and is an excellent source of protein- containing all 21 amino acids, including of course the 9 essential aminos (which makes these an ideal food for vegans!) It is one of the most “complete” sources of protein, far more so than eggs, meat, and soy! Needless to say, this has been my staple combo. But again, add, subtract, multiply, divide…. don’t be afraid to make it your own! Just keep the proportions relatively the same as below when making changes, and you should be good to go!
… I love it mixed with a little plain yogurt and fresh fruit!
… but you could of course just have it with some milk (or soy milk, rice, hemp, etc…)
…. or eat it by the handfulls right out of the container like I do! 😉
ok, these photos are making me hungry! …..is it breakfast time yet??
makes about 6 cups of granola
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup rye flakes (or add more oats)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts (raw or roasted, but not salted!)
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup hemp seed
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- Heat the oven to 300F
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, rye flakes, nuts, seeds, dried fruit, cinnamon, and brown sugar. Mix together well (try to get the cinnamon evenly coated).
- In a small saucepan, combine the coconut oil, maple syrup, salt, and vanilla. Heat on low and stir until well combined and coconut oil is melted in… it doesn’t need to get hot, just combined!
- Pour the liquid mixture over the dry mixture and stir until well combined and everything is evenly and thoroughly coated.
- Spread the granola evenly onto two baking sheets, and place in the oven. Bake for about 30 minutes, stirring it around every 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the granola cool completely. Store it in an airtight container and enjoy! It should stay fresh for at least a month stored in the container!