Mini Quinoa Muffins (v, gf)
Easter brunch has become an annual tradition in our family. It’s awesome, for many reasons. Mainly, because my family is the coolest family around and because I get to COOK and BAKE up a frenzy! yippee!!! Honestly, it’s like Thanksgiving’s half birthday to me…. in brunch form. This year we had a couple friends join us too, and the weather cooperated so we could gather outside to eat.. mmmmm…. love the morning sun. I got up at 6:30, had my coffee, and started cooking for our 10am brunch. On the menu were many tasty things including a M’hanncha (Moroccan Snake Cake – I’ll post the recipe for this one soon!), a wild mushroom and leek frittata with a rutabaga parsnip crust; a sundried tomato, spinach, and queso fresco frittata; breakfast potatoes; fruit salad, and mini quinoa muffins. I always use the excuse of holiday gatherings or food get togethers to try out new recipe ideas… some people call this ballsy or brave, but I just consider it creative and adventurous! I guess I’m pretty confident that my recipes won’t totally fail… but often there’s room for improvement. 😉
Anyways, for this post I’m going to tell you about these quinoa muffins that I made for brunch. BITE SIZE quinoa muffins. Now, I have to warn you… if you are a batter taster… beware. I could literally eat this batter for breakfast. SO tasty! Actually, really really healthy too, so you really could eat it for breakfast! hmmm…. well either way, if you don’t eat all the batter first, they also make really good muffins. Super healthy little tidbits, packed with protein! The quinoa taste definitely shines through but the rice milk dulls down its “earthy/nutty” flavor just the right amount to balance these muffins without having to add too much sugar. Feel free to play around with add-ins… I added mixed dried fruit and walnuts, but just plain raisins or dried apples would be really nice, or whatever else you fancy!
- 1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 cup quinoa (measure dry, will be more when cooked)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup mixed dried fruit (or just your favorite dried fruit or raisins)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unflavored rice milk (coconut, soy or almond would work too, but I like the rice flavor in these)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp coconut butter (softened)
- 2 flax “eggs” – 2 tbsp flaxseed meal + 6 tbsp water (egg replacer)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cook 1 cup quinoa in 2 cups water, set aside when all water is absorbed and it’s done cooking.
- Mix together flaxseed meal and water, set aside and mix occasionally (it will become somewhat gelatinous)
- In a medium bowl, mix together oats, baking powder, spices, and salt. Stir in the walnuts and dried fruit.
- In a separate bowl, mix together brown sugar, rice milk, vanilla and softened coconut butter. Stir in the flax “eggs”, then stir in the cooked quinoa. Blend until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, and mix until well combined.
- Lightly grease a mini muffin tin, and spoon ingredients into prepared tin. (I had to do several batches)
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until each muffin has set (should feel slightly spongy, but bounce back). Remove from oven and enjoy!!