Rustic Banana Bread (v)
Today, I had a sudden craving for banana bread. I am a strong believer in feeding cravings and not ignoring them… so… I made my way to the kitchen and made myself some banana bread! As I organized my baking canvas and began assembling the typical baking ingredients, I paused…. I thought, “no… I want to do this with as few base ingredients as possible.” … so I put away the sugar, egg, vanilla… and began mashing the bananas. Seriously simple is no joke for this bread… I had it in the oven in less than 5 minutes. And in 30, I was satisfying my craving!! Vegan, sugar free, oil free, and perfectly moist… this bread is a-mazing.
Makes one loaf
- 2 medium bananas (preferably overripe)
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1 flax “egg” (1 tbsp flaxseed meal + 3 tbsp water)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- scant 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix together your flax “egg” and set aside.
- Mash bananas and applesauce together (should amount to about 1 cup combined).
- Mix together all dry ingredients plus walnuts and raisins. Add flax “egg” and mashed banana/applesauce, mix until well combined, pour into prepared lightly greased loaf pan and sprinkle lightly with oats, sesame seeds, or sunflower seeds for looks (totally optional). Bake for about 30 minutes (or until knife inserted comes out clean), let cool slightly before cutting – Enjoy!!!