Vegan Chocolate Cake
Not in a million years would you guess this cake was vegan AND healthy!! Nor will anyone you feed it to. It’s so moist and chocolatey, fluffy but not cakey… I’m not usually a fan of cakes, but this vegan chocolate cake… amazing. I’ve fed it to vegans and non vegans alike and everyone gives rave reviews. It’s excellent served with ice cream when it’s right out of the oven (well, coconut bliss ice cream for the vegans). Frosting, strawberries, fruit compote… all would go wonderfully. It has become my staple, go-to cake recipe, and I can’t wait to try different variations on it! Stay tuned —Alex
- 1-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil (olive oil works too)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp apple vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 375 F
- Sift together all dry ingredients except the sugar and chocolate chips (sifting is important).
- In a separate bowl, combine the brown sugar, oil and other wet ingredients. Blend until well combined and no sugar chunks appear.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry mix and stir well until smooth. Add the chocolate chips and mix in.
- Pour into a greased cake pan (I like to use a 9″ springform bundt cake pan, but a simple 8″x8″ pan works fine too), and bake for 30-45 minutes, or until done. Check often after 20 minutes by inserting a knife and seeing if it comes out clean. Clean means done! Don’t overcook it or it will become dry.
Makes one cake, serves about 10-12