Persimmon Oat Ginger Muffins (vegan)
These scrumptious muffins (a group effort by Alex & Paula) disappear before you know it. The persimmons contribute their natural sweetness, eliminating the need for sugar, while the hint of ginger gives just the right amount of zing. If persimmons are not in season, experiment with other ingredients (mashed pears, apples….mango?? gasp.) —Alex
- 1 c soy milk
- 2 ripe ‘hachiya’ persimmons *
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp coconut butter
- 1 c oats
- 1 c whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup diced candied ginger
- 1/3 cup diced walnuts
optional: 1/4 cup flax seed meal, 1/3 cup raisins
*note: if your hachiya’s are not quite ripe, freeze them the night before, then set them out to thaw in the morning… voila. ripe persimmon! (crazy, but true!)
- heat the oven to 325F
- mix all the dry ingredients together & set aside.
- mash up the persimmons (skin & all, cut the skin up if needed), add the coconut butter & heat (microwave or stovetop) briefly just so the butter softens a little.
- blend the persimmon/coconut butter mixture, and then add the wet mixture to the dry & blend again.
- add the soy milk and blend until well mixed
- spoon into muffin tins & bake for 15 minutes (or until done). Enjoy!
yields about 10 regular size muffins